Thursday, March 20, 2008

Im Still a Catholic at Heart

What do you have to do to prove your devotion to your religion? Go to mass every week and pray daily? Is that really neccessary? I do not think so. You can still be very in touch with your religion and your faith without doing all of that. Some people go to church because they really want to and feel that it brings them closer to their beliefs. Other people go to church because they feel it is a way to prove that they are more religious than they actually are. Attending church for that reason is worse than not going at all.
I don't feel like I should have to prove to anyone how much of a Catholic I am. I do not need people to see me going to mass or fasting for Lent to prove my faith. Just because I do not include mass in my weekly routine or believe every word in the Bible , does not mean that I am a "non- Catholic". Everyone has the right to express their faith in whatever way they choose to, whether it be by being active in the church community or by never stepping foot inside a church.
I was baptized as a Catholic, recieved first communion and had my Confirmation. I do not go to mass every sunday or on holidays. That may be wrong and some may say that I am not a true follower of God. That may very well be true but I know deep inside what I believe in and that is really all that matters.

No comments: