Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Lady of Fashion

"A Lady of Fashion" from "All Around the Town" relates to one of my previous blog entries about fashion. This story talks about the fashion trends that were around tens years after the Civil War. Women in this time period went through a lot to keep up with the "fashionable belle" image. The "look" at this time was all about big hair styles, hourglass body figures, and lots of make-up. Almost every woman paid a lot of attention to their physical appearance and wardrobe. I found it interesting that many women wore corsets to make their waists appear smaller because it reminded me of the movie, "Titanic". In this movie, there is a scene where Kate Winslet is putting on a corset and the maid in tightly pulling the strings on it to tie a knot. Kate Winslet is holding on to her bed post, looking like she cannot breathe but the maid pays no mind to her face or aching moans and keeps pulling the strings. This shows that women went through so much physical pain because of the pressure to be beautiful. The whole story was funny to me because I know for a fact that it is true. I have seen people, friends and family, go through a lot to live up to the physical beauty standards of society. I also went through a stage in my life when I thought that everyone had to have the same look and same style.
I am very glad that things have changed since that period of time. "A Lady of Fashion" made me realize how important being an individual really is to me. Of course, everyone has those moments when they want to be on top of the fashion trends but it is not a must to have one certain look.


No comments: